Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Turning the Social Structure Upside Down

These past couple of weeks I was glued to Al Jazeera as we all watched the Egyptian Revolution unfold and the inspiring actions that accompanied it. I went to at least 6 solidarity protest over the course of 3 weeks to stand with the Egyptian people and their demand for democracy. I have been an activist since my college days and it has always been a part of my day to day and it is going to be a extremely hard not to have it in my day to day for 8 months.

Since I see the world through the lens of social changes and social conflicts I'm trying to take a look at this bike trip through that lens. You could argue that our bike trip is a revolution on a personal level much like the Egyptian revolution. We are challenging the status quo of what a normal married couple is suppose to do and turning the social structure of a relationship upside down (in a personal way of course). Obviously this won't really do much to affect the larger social structure, but it is none the less a step I need to take personally. You can see this among the Egyptian people and how they are starting to take control of their own society.

It is no doubt that this trip is only the tip of the iceberg of what is possible. Throughout the trip we are going to meet people who are struggling and fighting back and I look forward to speaking to those people and writing about their experiences and how we are all connected.

As they always say it's one struggle, one fight. To all my activist friends, while I'm on the road for 8 months keep up the fight and so will I.

1 comment:

  1. Brian,
    I love this post so so much. I'm so thankful to be on this journey of personal revolution with you. I know we're going to reach places we never imagined so. You're such an inspiration. Thank you for your perspective and truth... I love you,
    Rach

    ReplyDelete