Wednesday, May 25, 2011
10 ways to honor your knees
I am no expert on this matter. In fact, I'm feeling more than a little ignorant on the subject. But I'm committed to loving my knees (and all of my body, for that matter) enough to create a better practice of caring for it. Here are 10 things I've been practicing that are truly helping with the survival of my knees on this strenuous trek across the U.S. Got advice, knowledge, tips or expertise? Dear lord, do share! Let's get this convo going...
1. Live this rhyme: Ease over speed, please! (Ride on easy gears with at least 60 RPMs at. all. times.)
2. Stretch 10 minutes per every riding hour. This website has cute & helpful drawings with recommended stretches for before & after riding. Yummy.
3. Stop eating massive amounts of cheese and sugar; infamous joint swellers. Eat more veggies, non-animal protein, whole grains, and drink LOTS of fresh water.
4. Get the strap. (I could not bike without it).
5. Gently massage any tightness in your hips and quads every night before bed.
6. Give both your knees kisses goodnight. Positive mojo matters, people.
7. Ice for 20 minutes right after riding when feeling especially swollen.
8. If swollen in the morning, take two Ibuprofen 20 minutes before riding.
9. Lighten your load. Even more than you already have.
10. Make it a life-goal to never need knee surgery. Then get going with these practices!
and one more for good luck...
*11. Treat yourself to the gift of working with a professional. That's right. Schedule an appointment with a physical therapist, personal trainer, physical healer, what-have-you. Love your knees that much. They'll feel the difference.
What are your tried & true resources for loving & caring for your precious knees? I'm waiting eagerly for your genius to show...